Thursday, September 27, 2012

The Ride Home

Rather interesting ride home last night.

With threatening skies all day it finally started to drizzle about 2 miles into my commute home.  I had packed a rain coat, but it was so warm and muggy I didn't see a need to stop and put it on.  Gradually the precipitation increased to a light rain.

Feeling a little like a make believe badass; yeah, it's dark and water is falling from the sky, but the road is well lit, it's warm and I only have about 12 more miles to go.  Was nothing like my first commute home from Benidorm in the rain.

One of the biggest intersections I encounter on my ride home is the center of Unionville.  I think from the saddle of a bicycle you have a better view of what's going on as well as a greater sense of awareness (self preservation!).

Waiting for the  traffic light right out of Unionville at the intersection of rt167, a motorist trying to do a guy a solid, lets the guy pulling out of the gas station in.  But the guy is turning left.

I'm thinking to myself, from my own past experiences, this is trouble.

The light changes, gas station guy inches in...

and a guy trying to make the light in the left turn only lane t-bones him.

The guy who let him in took off like a bat out of hell.

I didn't stick around either; if they were on bikes this wouldn't have happened and I had to make it home for my guilty pleasure.

No comments: