Monday, March 26, 2012

KoB 2012

Adam the King with his Arm in front of Queen Ellen's head


How'd I do?
Officially all I know is I wasn't in the top 8 overall.
Unofficially I know Jonny Bold only beat me by less than 5 minutes.  On a longer course that some said wasn't singlespeed friendly that's a victory.  Hell, even if it was specifically designed for SS I'd be psyched with that deficit.

Technically I rode poorly.  Within the first mile I crashed in a very minor rock garden; the kind you shouldn't crash in.  On some of the new trails I was just sort of brain dead on how to approach the obstacles.  At one point I came to the end of a boardwalk that emptied into a rock garden and just sort of stopped.  I just couldn't figure out how to ride it.
So I ran.

Speaking of boardwalks, there were a lot of them.  Totally dry, totally safe, yet they freaked me out and I rode them with kit gloves.

The new sections of the course were awesome though.

They used a new timing system this year.  It had an elegant sounding electronic female voice (a hot robot!) counting you down to your start.  Unfortunately she couldn't do more than one thing at a time and to keep the race rolling along for all the classes, they couldn't stop to get more than the top 8 results.

I never do very well at this race, but it's a lot of fun and I'll keep coming back.

The waiting around for results that weren't coming did reward me with winning some goofy white socks in the raffle, but also sucked the life out of me; I had every piece of clothing I brought with me on by the time we left. This had a negative effect on the after race ride.  I look more forward to that than the race.

Next year, I'll skip the standing around part and get right to the good stuff.

No one remembered to bring a camera on the ride so I got this sweet shot of Alby putting on his sock

not to mention Dan refusing to use his bike rack

4 comments:

Syl said...

Well you got your 14 seconds and then some! See you at Hopbrook...

Hedge Bandit said...

If it makes you feel any better, I'm sh!t at mountain biking. I don't even crash spectacularly. I crash very gently, and slowly, usually in a puddle.

Well Done!

Cervelo Girl said...

Well done. Glad you had fun too, otherwise, what's the point, eh?! I like your profile's new look too, by the way!

CG

CB2 said...

CG- Absolutely!
It's all about the fun, even if that fun has a tinch of sado-masochism.
;-)

The new look was all for the benefit of one of my sponsors; CB's logo didn't show up against the old blawg background.