Sunday, January 16, 2011

I should have gone riding...


...well maybe not. On the drive over to the res to go XC Skiing, the roads really didn't look that bad. It was still early enough that there wouldn't be too much traffic, but the skis were already in the truck and I was almost there so guess I'll give it a go.
Most of the mtb guys had been snow shoeing and consequently they had packed down a nice singletrack around our familiar loop.
Not the best skiing but better than bushwhacking.
About 30 minutes in I stopped for a drink, and called Mrs. CB2 to tell her the conditions were not too bad, a little bumpy, but doable.
Fortunately she had the good sense to ignore me.
The next 20 minutes or so were pretty good; I had reached the top, traversed to the descent and headed back down.
On the descent it seemed like the snowshoe-rs and other trail users had a free for all; they were all over the place.
When I got to my turn "home" it seemed no one else had chosen to tread that route, so I continued up a little higher, made, some "first tracks" on the little cut through trail to the levees.
Having 6' plastic strips attached to my feet was beginning to wear on me. My shoulder sockets hurt, as did my thighs, hips and ankles.
I wanted the shortest route back to the truck, but also the path of least resistance, and the one that would avoid the inevitable pavement crossing.
More fresh powder and "2nd tracks" got me to the paved loop, where I had to ski on top of the plowed snow 3' above the tarmac...getting passed by joggers, hikers, people with strollers, and children.
Fortunately I was able to duck back into the woods after only 1 or 2 tenths of a mile of that humiliation.
One final little hill and I'd be home free. I was pretty tired at this point so I decide to side step down the hill to avoid crashing trying to control my skis in 2' of powder with zero energy...but I still ate it.
It was a good workout, but as I tried to rally enough strength to shave, I'll be thankful to get back on the bike...SOON!




looking back

No comments: