Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pre-Winter

I love this time of year; the ground is frozen, but the snow still hasn't come yet. Minimal ice other than the frost heaves or whore frost as my cronies are calling it.
Officially it's not quite Winter, but it sure feels like it with temps running 15 degrees (F) below normal.
As I began my ride I had to remind myself to HTFU, it's not going to be getting any warmer any time soon. Still, last week I was weighing if I even needed a jacket, and now I'm wearing Winter specific clothing.
You forget how long it takes for your body to adjust to the cold.
5 minutes?
No, legs and face are still cold.
10 minutes?
Not yet, face is still cold, and still not breathing fully.
Finally 20 minutes in my lungs open up and the fun begins.
The frozen ground provides ultimate traction. It also mean zero mud; something particularly important when you are experimenting with derailleurs.

1 comment:

TJ said...

damn it was cold thursday and I didnt even ride.