Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tires Touched Dirt

My folks are leaving for FLA on Tuesday, and what kind of son would I be if I didn't go help them clean out their frig; ie. invite myself over for dinner.
Gee, while I'm down there, there is that nice little trail network at and adjacent to Rocky Neck so if my bike just happens to be in the truck...

It's a couple mile road ride to the trails, and the network is tiny, but it is all of what makes New England great for riding in a postage stamp package.
Rocks, ledges, roots, logs, stream crossings with and without plank bridges, and rhododendron choked twisty trails barely as wide as your handle bars. All this with views of the Sound from the rocky ledge.

At first I was a little ticked that some of the outer perimeter trails were seeing a little more traffic, and widening. But the interior is still tight. Someone's been a busy boy (or girl) and has built a couple of nice challenging ribbons through the core of the park making an almost complete single track loop. Only 2.4 miles, but if you don't mind doing loops, it doesn't get much better.

As a bonus, mostly on dirt, with only limited ice.

Super bonus:
After the ride was over my Mom was ready to try and fatten up her favorite son.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Nice! SW CT is covered in a sheet of ice. I wouldn't consider riding right now unless I had some studded tires.

Post that track at Crankfire and lets's see some details. The information page for Rocky Neck State Park doesn't have any GPS data. If you are not sure how to do it shoot me a note.

CB2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CB2 said...

I started my ride from my parents house, and I doubt they want to become a trailhead. Next time I'm down there I'll start my GPS at the trail head.

Mark said...

I grabbed your data from Motionbased, edited it, and made a little map for you.

Rock Neck Map

Sounds like a place I'll have to hit next time I am down that way.