Monday, October 12, 2009

Just Right

I skipped riding on Friday because I wanted it to be "just right". It was lightly raining and I wanted to give the 1x8 the best chance to impress me as possible. Like when you plan a special date you want things to be perfect. Candlelight, champagne, the works...

But a man only can hold out for so long and when I woke to dreary damp Saturday, Mary Jane got the equivilant to a quickie out behind the shed.



This geared thing is terribly frustrating at this point. Right now at best I can equal my speed on the singlespeed, and that's all due to making up time on descents with a bigger gear. You'd think I'd be able to make up time on the flats and singletrack, but as of yet that hasn't been the case.
Climbing I'm loosing huge chunks of time with this "efficiency".
On the other hand, I'm not disliking the ride. For the most part, I'm having fun riding my bike, and since race season is over that should be good enough. But somehow this competition within me is getting the best of me, and race season starts a short 5 1/2 months from now...

1 comment:

Fort James said...

I would establish a few sections of trail as a test track and be sure to include all types of terrain. Repeated testing and timing your efforts will reveal the answer. You might just be faster on the SS. I, along with a few other folks, always thought the same thing, but time with the gears has taught us otherwise. One fo us (www.fatmarc.com) started winning races right away once he went to a geared mtb. It takes time and a willingness to want to switch. Not that SS is not more fun, because it is, but for me, a geared MTB keeps me in the hunt at all times on all course conditions, not just the ones that favor a SS.