Thursday, August 16, 2012

If you look over there----------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
You'll see I've stopped tracking the dollars saved commuting.

"Why, oh why" you say.

Because elements of the commuting paradigm have changed.

I have a new job not located in the center of all insanity.
I have a new hand me down car which gets better mileage and is used differently than my old vehicle.

Having inherited my new ride from Mrs. CB2 it was on fumes.  I put $50 in the tank.
Today, 2.5 weeks later I filled it with $45 (it still had about 1/3 tank).

I used to spend almost twice as much a week driving my beloved truck to my old job and the commute is about the same distance.

There isn't the delivery aspect anymore, and the Volvo gets about 4 mpg better than the truck ever did, but still.  If I can keep this up, I'll only need a tankful a month which would be pretty sweet.

Not everyone's job is conducive to commuting.  I am grateful to have employers who are so supportive of the idea.   So much so they even have an outdoor shower (is there anything better than an outdoor shower?)!   The health, both physical and mental, environmental, and economical benefits far outweigh any inconvenience.

If it is possible to leave the car at home and take the bike I highly recommend it.
(but you already knew that)