Thursday, June 14, 2012

Special Sauce

After Domnarski Farm I was running low on sealant.  It seems I'm always running low on sealant.
I saw a thread on the MTBR about making your own "tubeless brew".
Being a tinkering DIY kinda guy I thought this might be the way to go.

1 part Mold Builder
1part Slime for tires
1part anti freeze
2 parts water
glitter (optional)



My first attempt was a big failure; who knew Jerry's Artarama closes at 7:00 PM on Tuesday?

Yesterday, I was passing a craft store, and on a whim I decided to go see if they had any of my needed ingredients.

Score!  On the bottom shelf across from the Bob Ross gesso the last 16 oz tub of Mold Builder in the store.

On my first shopping expedition I had stopped at a couple of department stores to look for Slime with no success, but now with Mold Builder in hand a quick stop at a proper auto parts store and I was done buying all the supplies I needed (I had an open bottle of anti freeze, water comes out of the tap, and if I really wanted we've got glitter galore around here).




Looks like a Shamrock Shake!


How does it work?
Hard to tell.  I swapped a tire from the wheel I fubar'd yesterday to another wheel.  The tire had a good amount of store bought sealant in it, so I only topped it off with one scoop of special sauce.

BUT...I've never had a tire seal so easy using my wimpy home compressor, so I'll take that as a good sign.

Now the cost analysis

Mold Builder.........................................................................................$18.00
Slime.....................................................................................................$ 9.00
anti freeze (I had it, but let's say I had to buy it).....................................$ 7.00
water......................................................................................................FREE!!
glitter.........................................................................................................N/A
______________________________________________________________
Total                                                                                                     $34.00

$34 for 80oz of sealant or $.425 per once compared to store bought @ $25 for 32 oz or $.8125 an ounce. That's a savings of almost 50%.

If this stuff works we might be on to something...

6 comments:

tj said...

Cool! Keep us posted on how this works out, something ive wanted to try for awhile and have heard it can be done.

the original big ring said...

72 pages on mtbr....i don't have the attention span to read it all and sort through all the different recipes. What's the exact recipe (with measurements)? Stans is too much compared to what you've spent - whoot!

WV: frugalmuthafugga

CB2 said...

It's all in liquid measurements so, and I'll even translate it for you,

500 ml mold builder liquid latex
500 ml slime for tires
500 ml anti freeze
1 L water

I didn't use any glitter, but may I suggest pink for you.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget the lint.

the original big ring said...

wicked - even in metric!

I do have pink glitter and it makes me look glamorous.

Cheers Charlie.

P.s. Headed to Kingdom July 13th weekend if you're interested in hooking up.

CB2 said...

Next batch I'm going to cut back on the water to maybe 600-750 ml. I got a puncture on Sunday and the special sauce would only hold to a lower pressure.


Wifey's been working on weekends. I might have a couple weeks of freedom in August though.