Thursday, October 8, 2009

What the F am I Doing?

Went riding after work last night. About 40 minutes in I realized I wasn't having any fun.

WTF?

Not having fun riding a bike?

This new obsession with seeing if I can go faster with a 1x8 than a singlespeed has whacked everything out of perspective. Instead of enjoying the ride I was looking at splits, trying to figure where I could make up time. It's not even race season anymore!

Is it no fun because of how I'm riding or what I'm riding?

I'm going to try and step back from it and get back to just riding. It's only been a week with gears, so maybe I should just remember racing doesn't start until April and I should just enjoy the ride.

On the geared note, I realized the MRP X.1 chain guide would not work with my BB. It's designed for external cups, and although the tech at MRP said it should work with an ISIS BB "as long as the cups have a lip", I think he's wrong.

But I found a longer bolt with the same thread pitch as my front derailleur's limit screw, so I can ditch the cable and shifter.


So I've got that going for me. Which is nice.

Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

Mookie said...

When you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.

I decided last night that I'm not racing any cross this year. I'm just going to ride to ride. Imagine that.

Do you still have any interest in KT?

CB2 said...

I have a ton of interest in the KT's, but I don't think it will work out with my schedule.

James said...

No cross for Mookie!?

I think this time of the year everyone including myself has gotten the blues over cycling.

Then one day everything falls into place and life is good again with gears or without.

Mookie said...

Sorry to hijack your blog, CB2, but yeah no cross for Mookie. I've done zero cross specific training and really this is my favorite time of year to ride so if I want to go out for 5 hours so be it.

Side note: CB2, It looks like KT trip is a no-go. The weather for that weekend is calling for snow, freezing rain, and highs around 40. Would you have any interest in a 5 hour mtb ride out of Granville, MA? Word on the street is that it's "epic". Doug said he was in if the weather holds. I'm going to try and convince Brian. I think Salem is riding as well.