Saturday, March 14, 2009

Mark and Tom

Rode with my old friends Mark and Tom today.
Tom is the person who inspired me to get a mountain bike.
I kept on hearing these stories of the great time he and Mark were having riding bikes in the woods, so when I finally had an enough for an entry level Diamondback I was ready to see what all the fuss was about.

Previous to the Topanga (that was the model of the DB, Kim always felt it should be followed by an exclamation point), I wasn't what you would call physically fit. Years of playing in bands and embracing all the vices associated with such had began to take a toll on me.

I remember the first ride with Tom. I was wearing black jean cut offs. That ride behind his house wrecked me! But I was hooked.
Looking back at how hard some of those early rides were for me, really goes to show how fun riding is; why else would I subject myself to such abuse?
What I would consider a huge ride back then is barely a warm up these days.

Many great memories of rides w/ Mark and Tom back behind Tom's house, and the after ride bull sessions that would follow as we would lick our wounds and maybe nurse a beer. Those after ride beers are probably one of the few occasions that I miss beer; nothing like the endorphin & hops cocktail.

Today we retraced trails we've ridden so often before, yet hardly have time to do it together anymore.
Great ride guys, here's to you.


Tom on a rock


Mark taking the easy way out

No comments: