Sunday, November 23, 2008

Fixed Mountain Baby Steps


Got out for a little fixed fun this afternoon. Especially cool since I didn't think I would have the opportunity.
Headed NW into the wind figuring I'd do about an hour loop on the road, and be home in time to drive Kim and the kids too the pool.
As I was passing the res., I said "Oh why not"!
Turning onto the first fireroad, the grade immediately pitches up. I knew instantly a 75" gear might not be ideal! But then again, it wasn't as bad as I thought. The worst part was how narrow my bars were, and that my right brake lever was loose from torquing on it.
Controlling speed is becoming much easier; I hardly touched my brakes the whole ride. Nice to know they're there though!

To make it an official Mountain Fixed ride, I veered onto singletrack for about a 1/4 mile. The big gear and 700x32 tires made it Charlie Chaplin comical, but I did succeed in cleaning at least two logs.

I love how smooth and silent this bike is too. I never thought of my singlespeeds as anything but quiet, but they don't have that super smooth drivetrain feel the Fun Machine has. It is quickly becoming my favorite bike.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but the sun was low and the kids were itching to get in the pool when I got home!

No comments: