Sunday, July 19, 2009

Singlespeed Heart

I took Quinn and Lillian for a bike ride on Saturday. We started on a nice smooth crushed stone bike path in Simsbury. I spied a blazed ribbon banking off to the right and thought "That looks like fun!"

A pretty tame path for someone who regularly mountain bikes, but on the challenging side for an 8 and 10 year old.

As I coached Quinn over some roots and up a difficult climb, I see Lillian up ahead pedalling until she can't go any further, calmly dismounting and beginning to push her bike up the rest of the hill.

No complaining, no drama. She just accepted she did the best she could, and she'd just have to push it the rest of the way. It was beautiful.

Besides the fact that she never shifts the gears on her 21 speed bike, she has the heart of a singlespeeder.

When you ride a singlespeed you don't make excuses. You make it or you don't. You don't blame your tires or your gear choice. It is what it is.

I was riding with a friend a week or so ago and on a challenging two part technical climb, I made the bottom half over the ledge and roots, but couldn't make the turn at the top. He consoled me that making it that far was making it.

Whatever.

If I make it that's great, if not, no big deal, I'll try again another day.

If your racing and you're getting blown away because your gear is small for the flat stuff, maybe you'll make it back on the climbs, maybe you won't, but don't worry about it. That's just the way it is.

2 comments:

James said...

agreed.

F.W. Adams said...

Just came across your post when I should be working instead! ;o)

Cool that the kids get out with you and yeah, you either make it or you don't on the SS.

Cheers!