Monday, June 21, 2010

Joys of Tubulars

"Charles, what are you spraying in the basement? What's that smell?"

Nothing honey.

After neglecting to scrape the glue off my rims one too many times, it was time to bring out the big guns.


Wire brush,
Check.
File,
Check.
Vat of chemicals rammed into a truing stand,
Check!


After many spins through the vat, you start loosening it up with the wire brush, them you hit it with the half round file, occasionally spinning it, and finally using a rag to clean off the stray globs and the likes.
Squeaky clean with only minor brain damage.


I'm glad I still had a couple of rolls of gluing tape left, because I didn't have any tires prepped, so convenience wins out over cost.

2 comments:

Mookie said...

Just curious, why do you run tubulars?

CB2 said...

I don't have any multi speed clincher road wheels anymore (sold the last set with a bike last Summer).
About 10-11 years ago, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about and built up a set (the same set I ride daily), I liked them, and since I could get them cheaply at the time I said WTF.
They usually are pretty reliable with about 30 ml of sealant in them, more so than clinchers from my experience. Usually when I've punctured on the road, I give them a couple good shakes, re-inflated, and been on my way. Obviously some punctures won't seal, so I carry a spare tire (and a phone;-))
I don't have sealant in my "race wheels".