Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Years Day

There are some traditions that just need to be kept. One of them is the New Years Day Ride. No better way to usher in the new year than with a bike ride.

It was breathtakingly beautiful, or maybe it was just because it was 7 F, with a constant 10 mph wind with gusts up to 20 mph. I don't know what that translates into windchill-wise, but I wouldn't want to be standing around in it.

But we weren't standing around, fortunately, we were riding.
A surprisingly big group for the temperature; I knew I could count on CB1, but Bill T, and Brian P showed up too.

Crystalline blue skies, and 5" of fresh light powder, made for what has got to be one of the most picturesque rides of the year. Did anyone bring a camera? Of course not. 2 of us planned to, but with all the layering going on, I guess we forgot.

The balaclava was the fashion accessory for 2009.

For snow it was easy going, but it still added a level of challenge to the ride. Hills were that much tougher, and when you'd least expect it, you'd find the patch of ice hiding under it.

The fixie is becoming more and more second nature for me; I'm surprising myself with the stumps and logs I'm getting over. Great control in ice and snow too.

What a spectacular way to start the year.
Hopefully the next 364 days will be as good.

Happy New Year!

No comments: