Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Put Your Fucking Phone The Fuck Away!

On the ride to work yesterday, I was sort of perplexed with how hard it seemed for a car to pass me on Middle Rd.  It's a wide, clean road with a good shoulder.  But it got passed me without incident, so no harm no foul, right?

Then it came to a complete stop, 30' from the stop sign splitting the right and left turn lanes.  I need to get to work, so I pull around the car on the left side (I was turning left).  The woman is holding her phone out in front of her face.

You can guess what I shouted at her.

She looked back at me like a defiant child.

Everyone says they are in favor of tougher distracted driving laws, but the consequence of such doesn't seem to be having the right effect.  Informally I'd say 1/3 of the drivers I see are on the phone.  Are you?

Since it seems unlikely that you'll actually be punished for breaking the law, consider this:

IF YOU KILL SOMEONE THEY DON'T COME BACK.  THEIR FAMILY IS LEFT WITHOUT A SON, A DAUGHTER, SISTER, BROTHER, MOTHER OR FATHER.  YOU MIGHT BE PUNISHED BUT THEY WILL BE DEAD.

HUMAN LIFE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR FUCKING PHONE CALL!

5 comments:

christopheru said...

While I agree whole heartedly with how you feel about this, nothing will happen until the entitled amongst us change their behaviour patterns. It took decades for drinking and driving to become socially unacceptable. Perhaps we need to - I would argue that we should do this btw - put distracted driving the same class of offence as drinking and driving and start handing out charges of criminal negligence causing death/bodilly harm and removing people's driver's permits for 10 years. If a person cannot focus on driving while they are "driving", then they should not be permitted to drive. End of story.

The same thing goes for cyclists that slam into pedestrians while texting.

But nothing will happen as long as the entitled continue to be allowed to act like assholes on the road.

Anonymous said...

Charlie,

I signed your name at the bottom of three of the cell phone tickets I wrote today.

Brian.

CB2 said...

Thank you Brian!

I know this is preaching to the choir, but what's it going to take for people to not drive distracted?

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing..

please follow my G+, i'll follback

jual madu hutan asli
pesan kue pekanbaru
sprei bedcover murah unik
cara meningkatkan alexa rank
cara membuat gateway bnet
pesan kue talam murah
turnamen dota pekanbaru
softlens animation murah pekanbaru
jasa pembuatan website murah
flash disk murah pekanbaru
jam tangan unik murah
boneka handmade pekanbaru
jual powerbank murah unik

Anonymous said...

As a former 5 day a week, 50 weeks a year biker commuter (seven years in Chicago...until this year) - Thank you. You are spot on with the cell phone users. One of the reasons I quit my commute (lousy 6.5 miles each way) was that a local bike advocate was killed by a guy speeding and driving under the influence. His case is pending but it opened my eyes. My kids need me more than the healthy lifestyle my bike provided. I literally have hung up the bikes in the garage and commute on foot (run). Sucks but until this town gets it's act together with concrete barriers, it is just a matter of time before I eat the grill of texter's cage. And for the cop writing tickets, you rock, too. Keep it up. I hope we figure it out here. I really do.